Nick, (msg re-CC'ed to list, for the list subscribers' general edification!)

Now that you've established that x0vncserver works, and thus that your
network is not the issue, we can return to the module installation.

Vnc.so should work once it's been added to the X server config file and the
X server has been restarted.  Things to check are whether you're editing the
right config file, which X server you're using, and whether the X server is
logging errors.

Cheers,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.