Mathew...

No VNC is not safe.  You need to add safety at the TCP/IP level, and
then use VNC on top of it...

There are many ways of doing this, look for "tunneling" or VPN both are
ways of setting up remote TCP/IP connections to remote systems safely..

Jerry
P.S.  I use SSH, but that may not be the best choice for you...