Wez, Tony:

        Heyaz. Just to clarify: the info on faq.gotomyvnc.com about
port-80 and the NIS firewall was received from NIS Tech Support. I
have absolutely no idea why they think that port-80 filtering has
*anything* to do with VNC. But they apparently do.

It's a subtle distinction by an important one: port-80 has
nothing to do with VNC connections, but "port-80 information filtering" does have something to do with blocking VNC connections in some versions
of the NIS firewall.

cheers,
Scott

Firewalls - I had my gateway firewall enabled and the XP and
Norton Internet Security Firewalls disabled on both the
laptop and PC. I have reactivated the NIS with no adverse
effect and for those who have come across it I have NOT had
to remove port 80 from the list of scanned ports in NIS -
although this may be an issue when I connect through the
Internet and my gateway.

Port 80 is not used by the VNC protocol, by default, nor to server the Java Viewer.
<snip>