From:                   "Reid Kaplan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:                     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:                Yet another performance question for a simple application
Date sent:              Thu, 7 Oct 2004 09:13:11 -0400

I just installed RealVNC Server on a 1.3 mhz WinXP Home machine that is
connected to a Motorola router at 10mbps. I installed the Viewer on an IBM
T41 laptop Centrino WinXP Pro (also nominally 1.3 mhz) connected to that
router via
Wifi with about the same bandwidth. The application is the remote control of
Adobe Audition 1.5 and the Echo Console3 in a recording room while the
software is running on the tower in another room (to eliminate noise). Mics
are connected via long XLR cables to the mic preamps and thence to a pro
soundcard in the server. All this is so the musician can control recording
takes without pressure, by herself.

I have slimmed down everything within the viewer and server I can think of,
but there are still significant time lapses between remote action and server
response and vice versa. Audition paints the wave form and the VU meters on
the host along with the elapsed recording time. The VU meters do NOT respond
on the remote and Audition's record clock display is only updated every 6
seconds on the remote (although updated every .1 seconds on the server). The
waveform rarely is repainted.

The viewer software tells me that transfer is occuring at about 6800
kbits/sec. This should be enough to handle screen scraping. Task Mgr on the
server tells me that only about 23% of CPU is being used (by RealVNC and
there is still about 250mb (out of 512mb) memory free.

Again, I have disabled every nonessential feature in VNC and lowered screen
colors and pixel resolution.

Is there anything else I can do to accelerate performance? Should I try
another product? If so, which (of the many competing choices)? I have no
interest in sysadmin features or management. I merely want a replicated
console.

TIA,

Reid Kaplan