All,

A good tool is http://www.broadbandreports.com/scan using this scan
you can detect open ports on your computer, but it also can help you
determine if your firewalls are properly configured.

Make sure the vncserver program is running (user mode or service,
whichever you want to use)

Then run the port scan.  In the report you will see that port 5900 (or
5800 or 5901 or etc.) is open.

If this works, and you see your port as open then the other possible
problems could be wrong IP  (the scan will tell you the ip you need to
be using),  wrong password, vnc access control set-up wrong (the
connections tab), proxy/firewall on the client side.

p.s.  it doesn't hurt to see what other ports you have open either.
If you don't know what a port is doing open you have a problem.

--Angelo