Greetings,
I am using VNC V.4 on Windows 2000 professional.
It must be registered as a service.  Then if you are using a firewall and or
a router the ports have to be forwarded.
I had some problems until I understood just what VNC was doing and what it
needed.  I have been using it in various modes such as.  1.Viewer to VNC on
local Lan.  Wired and Wireless.  2. VNC server to listening viewer on local
Lan.
3. Viewer to router to internet to router to VNC server. This is also done
with Wireless in the mix.
4. VNC server to router to internet to Listening Viewer.

What I found was making sure that the ports were forwarded.  I use the
following settings:
Port 5900-5903   Port 5800-5803 and Port 5500-5501
I also found that if any of the machines are receiving IP address via DHCP
it becomes difficult to know what address the computer is working on.   I
solved this problem by using the Listening Viewer on a static address and
having the server add a client using the static address.

I use VNC to help some elder users with problems they encounter.  This is a
hobby of mine and I do not charge any fees.

I hope this gives you some help.  If you think I can help you in any way
please write  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sincerely,

Doyal McVicker