Jay,

TightVNC is a separate sourceforge project based on VNC.  It's possible that
the problem is therefore specific to that project.  If it's a more general
problem then the things to check are whether you can ping the '98 machine,
whether you can use telnet to connect to port 5900 and see "RFB 003.008",
etc. - the mailing list has many many copies in the archive of the various
steps required to diagnose connectivity issues.

Cheers,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.