Dullien, Marc wrote:
Hello,

I have been using VNC quite a time now but now I have been running into
trouble. At my work, we used ist to connect to PCs of employees at home and
on the road to fix things. We dialed up to the internet to avoid the
firewall problems.
Since we do have a good Internet Connection, we would like to use that one
instead of a dialup connection, so we started testing.

At home:
there is a pc running, vnc server started, listening port 59816
On the router at home, port 80 is forwarded to port 59816 of PC
Java viewer is turned off
At home telnet 127.0.0.1 80 works, also the normal VNC within the 'homenet'

From work:
Only http traffic is allowed
Browser pointing to home router ip answers rfb003.008
VNC viewer with wrong ports-> connection refused
Vncviewer with -5820,59816 take long time then server closed unexpectedly
Netstat tells me, that there is a connection http to home

Any ideas ?

vnc is not http. If the firewall or route is only allowing http, you are stuck...

You definitly need a dedicated port for vnc trafic. This can be port 80 but should not be restricted to the http protocol.

Best idea is to start testing with ports in the default range (5900 trough 5960 or such).

btw: If the home-users use a vpn connection, best to configure the connection in such a way it is also usable the other way around. THen you can just use vnc as at the office.