> THe password is found in ~/.vnc/password (or such).

No, it's not.  It's found in ~/.vnc/passwd.

> > I believe the command is vncpassword
>
> Nope, that just generates a new password and stores it in the
> mentioned file.

The command that sets a new VNC password is vncpasswd.

> Be noted, if you provide the same password, the encoded
> password can (will be) different.

The same password as what?

If you replace password "foo" with itself (i.e. with password "foo" again)
then the encoded password will be 100% identical to what it was originally.

> Since the encrypted passwords are tested (the encryption is
> inreversable) the new password will not match the old one.

This doesn't make any sense in the context of the vncpasswd command - are
you perhaps talking about something else?

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.