I spent about 5 hours trying to troubleshoot this problem before I found an
older message on this list saying that some routers don't allow traffic that
originates from inside the router to return.
I was getting this error when trying to connect to a computer on my network
from another computer on the network which were both using the same router to
connect to the internet.
I fixed it by connecting from outside the router. (I used a dial-up connection
to connect) to the server behind the router.
In my case I could connect over the LAN, my router ports were forwarded, and
the www.gotomyvnc.com scan returned that my connection was fine, but any
attempt to connect over the internet returned the 10061 error.
Hope this helps someone.