John,

No, the keys do give different character codes, otherwise the characters
produced wouldn't match the symbols, since UK keyboards have both hash and
pound symbols on them.  What you saw in my mail is basically, a 7-bit ASCII
vs 8-bit ISO-8859-1 thing, I think.  The pound sign is character 163 in
ISO-8859-1 while the hash is ASCII code 35 - ASCII mailers will probably
fudge one into the other to allow it to be displayed.

Cheers,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.