Richard,

The messages in the Event Log that would indicate the nature of the problem
would be the ones saying "Connection: closed " etc.  From your mail, it
sounds as though Timed Out is the "cause" of the disconnection.  Are all the
"Connection: closed " messages corresponding to these dropped connections
labelled with "Timed Out"?

We have seen some similar-looking errors in testing with Windows over very
slow links, which appear to be caused by problems in the TCP stack's
handling of simultaneous traffic in both directions on such links.
Two things to try:
- While the desktop contents are being downloaded, don't move the mouse at
all.
- Go to Options->Inputs in the viewer and select "Rate limit pointer
events".
Do either of these help?  (Note that rate limiting pointer events is
advisable for any slow connection, since TCP acknowledgements can take up
non-trivial bandwidth!)

The colours looking slightly pinky is caused by VNC Viewer defaulting to
64-colour mode, and only selecting full-colour mode if the connections
appears to be fast enough.  You can use the Default Options dialog to
instead use a 216-colour "cube" for slow connections, which tends to give
much nicer colours at a small cost to performance.

Cheers,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.