Alan,

I am in complete agreement with you about reducing the functions of the ISP
supplied
equipment. What I've been aiming at is to totally divorce it from any function
besides
bridging the ATM signal (phone line) to Ethernet. But the need to authenticate
the PPPoE
connection makes it impossible to go directly from the bridge to a private
router.

This is why I propose to run the output of the bridge into the primary
Macintosh, which
can perform the PPPoE authentication, act as a firewall and a proxy server, and
NAT route
packets downstream to a hub. Alternatively, I could allow the bridge to
continue performing
the PPPoE authentication, but pass the WAN IP to a local router, as would be
the case if
the circuit were not PPPoE. The unit has both bridge mode and "relay" mode.

ZyXEL responded today with the necessary information on how to access the
device if
it has been set to bridge or relay, so I will now be able to play with these
topologies. In
case you are interested, it continues to listen for http or telnet traffic from
a particular
IP (192.168.1.10) over the Ethernet side of the device. (A "magic number!")
Knowing this
also is a warning to me not to use ZyXEL's magic numbers (0-31) in my own LAN.

Sergio, you have some research to do to learn the peculiarities of the Ericsson
device!