Dave,

If VNC Server receives a connection and then closes it then you'll see a
message in the Windows Application Event Log under WinVNC4 that starts
"Connections: closed" and indicates the reason for closing the connection.
If there are no such messages then VNC Server isn't seeing the connections
before they get rejected.

The only other causes we've seen of connection issues are to do with faulty
firewall software at either end.  Some old versions of ZoneAlarm, for
example, used to completely prevent VNC Viewer 4 from connecting to servers!

Regards,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.