You are on the corect path.  are both of the machines actually on the
same netwok?  Is there a router or the internet between the two of
them?

Addtitionallly, what is the Operating system and service pack of the
server (the one you want to control).  Do you run anti-virus/ software
firewall on it?

--Angelo