        From: James Weatherall [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Sent: Tue 3/29/2005 10:52 AM
        To: Singh, Harjit (Mission Systems); vnc-list@realvnc.com
        Subject: RE: Question

        Harjit,

        VNC Enterprise Edition's user authentication phase is secure because it
        takes place only after a secure (encrypted, tamper-proof, etc)
connection
        has been established between viewer and server.  If session encryption
is
        not required then it is disabled immediately that the authentication
phase
        has completed.

        The older VNC Password authentication scheme is secure simply because it
        uses a challenge-response protocol to verify the user's password, rather
        than having to pass it from viewer to server.

        Regards,

        Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.