Got It!

Many Thanks to Kevin C and P Putkowski!

Symptoms:  You can log in remotely as any user.  If you log in as root
you can run all commands and gui utilities.  If you log in as non-root
gui utilities requiring administrator privleges will not display.  The
GUI dialog box promopts you for the root password and accepts it, but
the utility window doesn't load.  You can su as root in a terminal
window and run text-based privleged commands.

Problem had to do with the localhost net being authorized to connect
to the X-Server

Key error message was:
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server

Putkowski: Can you tell me where you found that error message (maybe
i'll learn to troubleshoot my own problems)?

Solution: put command 'xhost +localhost' in the /etc/bashrc file

You could just run this command once each session, or put it in the
.bashrc of only users you want to be able to run these tools, but for
my case its easier to go ahead and do it for every user on every
login.

Thanks to Kevin for putting the right command in front of me.