Martin:

        Heya. You can find step-by-step instructions of how to
configure the routers and firewalls involved in your setup here:

http://faq.gotomyvnc.com/fom-serve/cache/63.html

        However, you might find that the easiest solution is to
simply install EchoVNC (http://www.echovnc.com) on your machines.
The idea is that you run an echoServer somewhere, and your Mom and
Dad use EchoVNC to connect to it with names like "mom-pc" and
"dad-pc". You then use EchoVNC to initiate VNC connections, and
it'll connect to them without any firewall or port-forwarding
adjustments needed at all. When you connect to them, you can use
the "mom-pc" and "dad-pc" identifiers too, so you don't need to
know their IP addresses either. EchoVNC is free, Windows-only, and
works with any "flavor" of VNC (Real, Tight, Ultra, etc). The
echoServer itself is "shareware", but it's fully functional.

        Hope that helps!

-Scott

I am new to RealVNC but am totally amazed so far!  Need some help setting up
realvnc at my parents' house though...

their internet is set up is like this:

Internet connection is via an adsl modem which connects directly to a 1-to-4
ethernet hub, and from the hub one ethernet cable runs to my mothers
computer and one to my fathers laptop.

the two computers have as their ip address 192.168.1.4 and 192.168.1.5 and
connect to default gateway 192.168.1.1 (which is the modem).  If i enter
192.168.1.1 in internet explorer it takes me to a setup page for the modem.

the ip address as seen from "outside" is 81.243.236.121 for both computers.

my mothers computer runs windows 98 and my dad's computer runs windows xp.
i could access my own computer from their house when i was there last but
can't make the connection the other way.

i am new to the network side of things although i'm ok at computers in
general.  i've been reading about NAT and stuff but i think i need more of a
ste-by-step walkthrough.

hope somebody can help me

cheers,
martin.