On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Lou Kamenov wrote:

Is there such thing as VNC Enterprise Edition for FreeBSD, theres one for Linux alright?

Thanks for pointing out that the Unix Enterprise Editions (Solaris, Linux and HP/UX) are now available. If there was an announcement, I missed it.

I am a little disappointed at the per-unix-desktop licensing scheme. For one desktop I would pay $50. For ten I would pay $39.00 each. For 100, I would pay $17.40 each. For 500, I would pay $5.88 each. For more than 500, I'd have to haggle, I guess. On the bright side, this applies to multiple computers. For example, I could have two servers with 50 desktops each or 10 severs with 10 desktops each and the price is the same because it's a total of 100 desktops.

This leads to a fairly obvious question: How does the licence key work with Xvnc to keep a limit on the total number of desktops when the desktops are running on multiple machines? Is there an honor system, or is there a phone-home system? Just wondering how it works.

I have had students who create a bunch of desktops for some foolish reason, like maybe they forgot their password. Couldn't that cause problems if we only have a license for 10 desktops and we have 10 running, but someone gets confused and makes a few more?

By the way, VNC staff should note that the Solaris tar.gz file comes with a zero-byte LICENCE.txt file.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mike

--
Michael B. Miller, Ph.D.