Alasdair:

I just checked again against my Solaris 9 (9/04 but with patches) and the
window disappears after I login????  This was the version I ran my tests
against so I'm surprised it works for you.

I tracked the error down (using the trace facility of xdm along with the
X6.3.1 source for xdm) to the point in xdm where it is writing
authorization records - at which point I decided to try a newer version of
X. Having not exactly identified the error I don't know where the fault
lies.

My solution was to download and build the entire XFree 4.3.0 distribution
and then start its version of xdm rather than the /usr/openwin/bin
version. I did not rebuild vnc.

Jeff Hall