Rex Dieter wrote:

RealVNC is violating the GPL (unknowningly or not) by failing to provide the (preferred) source to the binary they distribute.

Given other conversations on here about GPL issues, I'd be surprised if there was really anything underhanded going on here.

On top of that, it's trechnically impossible for Real-VNC to violate the GPL. They are the original Copyright holders of the work. They can license and distribute only the files they want to under the GPL. If you don't get the file from them under the GPL then that file is not licensed under the GPL.

If they were modifying someone else's GPL work and the *re*distributing it, without a file the original author had included, then there'd be something fishy. But they are the original author of VNC (at least as I understand it.)

   -Kyle