A friend of mine is blind as well ( has been for 27 yr) and she works as a database/programming consultant. If you saw my previous post re accessing multiple computers with ssh & VNC, then a similar adaptation might be useful for you as well. It might not be suitable all the time, for every system you may be called upon to work on, but it may be worth your while to experiment with it.

So long as the gateway (the computer directly connected to the ISP) has a ssh server running, the basic approach should be applicable. You can go to http://www.openssh.com/ for a description of SSH. Most versions are geared toward Unix systems, but Windows and Mac links on the "Alternatives " link ( left side of page near bottom) also point out versions for other OSs (the Windows OpenSSH I use on the gateway system is at the bottom of the page at http://www.openssh.com/windows.html ).

One thing with all the graphical interfaces is making sense of the screen if you can not see it. There was something to be said for character based interfaces and "dumb" electronics/appliances. Even some kitchen appliances are getting graphical/touch screen interfaces which is hard for the visually impaired to deal with.

On Mac OS/X 10.4 (just released) they have added a built in "screen reader" you may want to look at. My wife has been using it in beta form for several months and likes it.

Have you looked at http://www.kurzweiledu.com at their hard copy scanning/reading software? It is very good for scanning hard copy, reading eBooks or PDFs, etc . OS/X and Win versions are available.