Oskar,

Assuming that you're killing your previous VNC servers with vncserver -kill,
rather than just repeatedly connecting to the same one, you're getting a
seemingly persistent "grey X session" because your chosen window manager
isn't actually running.  Check the VNC server's log file for error messages
from the window or session manager.

Cheers,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.