On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Jeff Hall wrote:

Jeff,
I am using Solaris 8 on SPARC, not Solaris x86. I tried replacing /usr/openwin/bin/xdm with the X11R6.5.1 version and got the same issue. I don't think xdm is ever being called because I also removed it and was still able to successfully lauch Xvnc 3.3.7, but not Xvnc 4.X releases.

"/usr/dt/bin/dtlogin -daemon" is the parent process I see being run when the CDE login is being done using Xvnc via inetd. With Xvnc 3.3.7, this would spawn /usr/dt/bin/Xsession to launch CDE, but with Xvnc 4.X, Xsession never spawns.

        Any other ideas?

Thanks...Tom

The problem is an incompatibility between Xvnc 4.x and the xdm supplied
with Solaris 8/9 (maybe 10 also). The solution that worked for me was to
build X11R6 V4.3.0 from source and use its xdm.

--
Tom L. Schmidt, Manager/SysAdmin Characterization Equipment
Micron Technology, Inc.  http://www.micron.com/