I've been monitoring this list for a few weeks as I was struggling with
establishing a RealVNC session from the internet through my SAR703 ADSL NAT
modem/router to my computer on my peer-to-peer LAN.  I'd had it working
within my LAN for months with no problems.

I have finally succeeded by simply trying something not mentioned by anyone!
When port forwarding, I had been setting up the "ppp_device" interface with
the port number, protocol and target IP.  But by chance I saw "ppp-0" as an
alternative in Bob's ADSL Router Configuration Utility
(www.ukbonkers.karoo.net) so set up the same rules but with this as the
interface.  Success!  My cousin (without altering his router) could control
my WinXP desktop from his WinXP desktop over ADSL 60 miles away.  Of course,
the manual only mentions "ppp_device"!

Any explanations about this interface thingy from the techies out there
would be of interest.  And I hope this helps the newbies/beginners - if you
want I can do a step-by-step to how I did it.

BBFN,

Martin