Hi, I tried running it from the command line but I still don't get a
password prompt - I typed just what you suggested but I don't see any
log files anywhere on the system after I ran that command.  Where
would the error log messages be?  (I'm sorry I'm not so familiar with
windows to know where to look).

I am running  vncviewer 4 from RealVNC on the XP side and on the
linux side I am running vncserver 1.2.9

Also, I checked the firewall settings on the XP side - what should I
be looking for?  at one point I turned it off completely and it still
didn't work - now i put it back on but I don't know what to set - I am
starving for a man page or something that will tell me how it works.
Any pointers to something like that would be most helpful.  thanks,

perry