There are many links if you search the web.

One example is http://web.mit.edu/pismere/ssh/vnc-over-ssh.html

Thanks,
Alex

Dean Huffman wrote:
.

Is there a good URL that contains a tutorial on how to set up SSH for VNC?

I have been trying to figure out the system and it appears that one computer (with the VNC server) must have an SSH server that accepts the messages (from an SSH client) and converts them to plaintext and sends them on to the VNC server on the same computer. The VNC server then responds, sends the message to the SSH server, on the same computer, in plaintext, which then converts the signal to an encrypted signal, sends it on to the SSH client on the other computer, which then translates the signal into plaintext and sends it to the VNC client on the same computer.

Are the SSH applications on the client and server computer the SAME application, or are there different SSH applications for each computer? How, on the server end, does the VNC client (or web browser) know to send the text to SSH rather than directly to the internet? How does the SSH know to send the signal to the SSH on the other end rather than directly to VNC?

In some of the tutorials I have found, it appears (but is not stated) that SSH is assumed to be running on the server side.

What I am looking for is a tutorial that explains SSH and gives the nuts and bolts of setting it up.

As an aside, why doesn't Windows (yes, I am embarrassed to admit that I use Windows) have SSH set up in its operating system so that one just has to do a few mouse clicks to get it started?

Thanks.

Dean Huffman