From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Stephen
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 5:50 AM
To: vnc-list@realvnc.com
Subject: What on Earth is Session Zero?

I am getting really really fed up with RealVNC. All it will ever ever do
is
say Connection Refused Eror 10061, and yes I have checked every single
thing
to do with firewalls over and over again, all firewalls are completely
off,
RealVNC viewer and server are exceptions in Windows Firewall list
anyway.
The exact same system works with a Windows ME PC on the same router, and
no
the other PC is not switched on, and no I do not use the same port
number,
yes the server is running on the XP PC, yes I am accessing the right PC.

It DOES work if I phone someone at the other end and get them to
initiaite
the connection with "Add New Client", but it is never possible to
connect
from my end with RealVNC viewer, or http in Internet Explorer. Because
"Add
New Client" is the only thing that has ever worked, it means that the
full
extent of the usefulness of RealVNC is that it can be used if there is
someone at the other end 24 hours a day who can be contacted by phone to
Add
New Client manually to initiate the connection. This is not how we want
remote control software to work.

I e-mailed Real VNC's help and support explaining the reality of Real
VNC
for the ordinary (XP Home) user, "it is a piece of software which can
and
does do only one thing: put a message on the screen which says
"Connection
Refused" - in the REAL world RealVNC does not work." Their reply was,
"current releases of VNC Server will only allow session zero to be
accessed
remotely, and this may best be ensured by disabling Fast User Switching
nor
Remote Desktop in some cases. Disabling these features is described in
the
Windows XP documentation, which may be accessed via the "Help and
Support"
entry in the Start Menu of your Windows XP system."

I have disabled Fast User Switching and Remote Desktop, and it has made
no
difference at all. What difference should it make? How is anyone
supposed to
know what SESSION ZERO is? What is it? I see no mention of session zero
in
Real VNC or in Windows XP Help. If attempting to get RealVNC to work
relies
on an understanding of the meaning of "Session Zero", then no ordinary
computer user can ever be expected to
use RealVNC.

Can someone please point me in the direction of a remote control Server
which DOES work on Windows XP Home Edition? NOT Real VNC Server, NOT
TightVNC Server (I have been down the same path with this and it also
refuses to connect), NOT Windows Remote Desktop Server (deliberately
disabled by Microsoft in XP Home Edition), NOT Microsoft Netmeeting
Server
(also deliberately disabled by Microsoft in XP Home Edition.) Is my
problem
because this deliberate disabling also disables Real VNC Server?

It seems to me that RealVNC IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH WINDOWS XP HOME
EDITION
and should not be advertised as though it is. Has anyone EVER had the
remote
control Server running correctly and accepting connections on Windows XP
HOME Edition?