Garry,

The problem is probably that your VPN has an MTU smaller than the underlying
network, but that your servers are not detecting that correctly - this is a
very common flaw in many VPN setups, and will affect any protocol that
transfers non-trivial amounts of data, e.g. FTP, HTTP, etc.

You will find that VNC can connect and will attempt to authenticate you, but
that you'll then get a blank screen and an eventual disconnect error - this
is because your server's TCP/IP stack is sending network data segments that
are larger than the VPN can support, so it's simply dropping them.  To the
TCP/IP stacks at both ends, it appears that the connection has been lost, as
a result.  Because connecting & authenticating involve small amounts of
data, they don't exhibit this problem.

Regards,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.