-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Financial Systems & Economic Analytics
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 11:22 AM
To: S. I. Becker
Cc: vnc-list@realvnc.com
Subject: Re: SSh-agent not dying after vnc viewer
exit/logoff/logout/disconnect

James and Stewart

I appreciate your patience with me.  I am  not a sysadmin and do not
know linux very well.  Been using for a year, mainly for the stability
so I can run research projects that take days to process and to store
data that I have collected.

I am going to try and combine both your threads here.

Summary
Systems RHEL 4 for vncserver, WinXP for viewer.
VNC config, standard config for xinetd using realvnc mail list
instructions.  config and startup files in /etc/vnc.
RHEL 4 sessions using KDE as the desktop environment (maybe gnome in the
background, that is somthing I do not know).

Symptons,

Open viewer on the XP maching and connect to server using username,
password.  Server starts Xvnc and a ssh-agent process.

Exit, disconnet from server, Xvnc stops normally, ssh-agent does not exit.

You both have suggested the following
James: You probably want to configure your SSH client not to use
ssh-agent, since it appears not to be terminating itself.
S.I.: If it's ssh-agent on the on the _server_ that is causing a
problem, then it may be because X is starting ssh-agent when it starts,
but not closing it when it exits.  In that case, you need to check your
scripts that run when X closes.

I think well all agree that I need to reconfigure X or kde not not use
ssh-agent or to perform an ssh-agent -k upon exit or maybe after the
XVnc is up and running?

The problem is that I do not have a clue how to do this or really where
to start.  I did find in a google search that kde has an a
autostart feature and I think a shutdown feature
(~/home/userhome/.kde/autostart).  I would have to put a script for
ssh-agent -k in each users .kde directory unless there is a global .kde
directory.

could I put the ssh-agent -k in the xstartup after the call to the
window manager?  as
dvm &
ssh-agent -k &

Any thoughts, suggestions, or other comments are greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Joe

----