Hi, John

I'm replying to your message mainly to see if this reply indents into
yours in Thread mode. As you may have seen, in my previous message to
Robin, his reply-to is the list, whereas yours is your own.

While I'm at it, may I offer my two cents (Canadian, but wtv..)
regarding the "netiquette" of having newer material  down below: While
it may seem logical, from a top-to-bottom-left-to-right (in our
culture) sense, to have older material at the top, it gets
increasingly annoying to have to scroll down past everyone's 'old
news' to get to the newer stuff, then maybe scroll too far, then have
to hunt for the start of the newer stuff. Plus, with increasing use of
3/4G devices (I have all my e-mails forwarded to my phone, but I only
see the 1st 140 characters, as in SMS), the 'bottom' stuff gets
truncated. Soooo, IMHO, the newer stuff is best shown first, followed
by the older stuff, if included, where the choice is left to the
reader to continue or not.

Salutations,
 -Paul

On 5/1/06, John Aldrich JAldrich-at-covista.com |VNCList|
<...> wrote:
............ wrote on :

> Sorry for the n00b Q, but I notice that some replys here
> are indented within their threads, while others are not.
> Can someone pls tell me (and others who obviously don't
> know, either) how this is done? Makes threads a lot
> easier to read!

It's likely the email software. I'm using Microsoft Outlook with an add-on
that "fixes" quotes so that they are with the quoted material at the top and
the new info at the bottom...which is what most people seem to consider
proper "netiquette". I'm not sure if it's Outlook or the add-on that's
indenting using the ">" character, but most software will either use that or
the "pipe" symbol "|" as the indicator for quoted material.

HTH.
       John