To: "'Simon Cole'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <vnc-list@realvnc.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2006 10:01 PM
Subject: RE: VNC Newbie XP troubles

Simon Cole wrote on :

Hi,

I've attempted to use VNC (freeware) as a server on my XP
box and keep getting a timeout error (0x1212) displayed
in the client. I
have tested the
client successfully on a friend's Mac. When it works it's
great!!

I have read through the FAQ and have opened port 5900,
turned off rapid user switching and remote access in XP.

Could anyone offer more advice - I must be close to
getting
it working.

Check the Windows XP firewall. You should, in my opinion, not only open port
5900, but put in an exception for the VNC server app. If you're using a
cable/dsl router, you'll need to forward port 5900 to your XP PC as well.