Jerry, thanks for the help.  I actually have VPN set up, and can connect the
two clinics that way.  However, I cannot browse the server from the client,
(the folder I need *is* set to "share"), or map a network drive on the
client that points to the server.  The "microsoft expert help" newsgroup
that I found so far has no idea why I can connect via VPN but not browse or
map a drive.

My most basic need is to access the client database on the server; we've
been using remote desktop via Dial-up-networking, which (I guess) is like
VNC in that it takes over the "server"; we could continue that way, but
since we added the DSL, I cannot print from remote desktop to my local
printer at the remote clinic.  I'm guessing this is a port forwarding
problem, as I can add a printer that is physically at the remote clinic to
the server with no problem by typing in \\computername\printername in the
add printers wizard.  (it just doesn't print, and I get no error messages)
However, I have no clue what port to forward to fix this.

I would prefer to be able to map that network drive, but at this point,
whether I access the client database via a mapped drive, Remote Desktop, or
something else, it's getting to where it doesn't matter how, just as long as
it's successful.