Thanks for the various posts on this topic but unfortunately none of the suggestions cover my original problem and seem to have missed the point a bit ;) which was to find a way to quietly close down an instance of Xvnc after a perdiod of inactivity.

Regarding the suggestions; Xvfb. I used this for several years on other systems but I don't have it easily available on the platform I have here (Solaris 8) and I don't have root access to the system, which is pretty much needed if you want to make a sane installation of Xvfb on this platform. I also need to export my image generation code to other hosts, where I don't have root access either. Thats one reason why VNC is attractive - it's easier to install and configure. Another is that an Xvnc server is nice and simple to use/monitor during the testing phase.

Regarding the decription of how to run a kind of batch screen capture system using a single Xvnc display, plus ImageMagick, etc. That's not at all what I'm doing. In my case the images are generated on the fly based on what the users select in the browser. At any time 'n' different users may generate any one of many thousands of possible images from data files that are updated constantly - I can't do batch processing and I dont need any kind of capture software, my own program does this just fine. I do need multiple displays (Xvnc servers) to cope with all the requests, and a way to close them down.

As I've still not found a solution then I guess I'm going to have to do it with a nasty hack - some kind of log of which servers are running and which haven't been used for a certain time, then kill them off and hope that someone wasn't using it. I was hoping to find a more elegant, automatic solution.

Thanks

Paul

Wayne Throop wrote:
: "Ehud Karni" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
: I have to disagree.

I'm not sure I understand what you are disagreeing with.  My suggestion
was that Xvfb would suffice.  Is that what you are disagreeing with, or
some other point?  Because I don't see anything vnc-specific in your
list of steps (below). They would all work with Xvfb. What am I missing? That is, who's connecting to it via the rfb protocol; none of the steps
show that, near as I can tell.

Mind you, there's nothing particularly *wrong* about doing it that way. Xvnc is a perfectly wonderful tool. I'm just saying I don't see anything vnc specific below.
: I use VNC for display purpose for over 5 years, also on a web page.
: : Here is what I do:
:  1. Create a virtual X by using a modified vncserver script with
:     3 important arguments: -alwaysshared -dontdisconnect -viewonly
:     (for the -viewonly argument which uses my view-only patch, see:
:      http://realvnc.com/pipermail/vnc-list/2000-July/015830.html,
:      http://www.tightvnc.com/whatsnew.html [under 1.2.5] ).
: : 2. Run the needed applications (xload, xterm+top, xclock, etc.)
:     with display set to the virtual X created in {1}.
: : 3. I use import (from the ImageMagick package) to convert the
:     virtual X to png like this:
:         import -display vncs:3 -silent -window root vnc-3.png
: : 4. Since my web server is across the Atlantic, I use ftp to copy
:     this png to the remote server.
: : You can see the result (updated every 5 minutes) at:
:     http://t-e-k.biz/VNC/vnc_load.html .
: : Hint. You can use xsri (available on GNU/Linux and Cygwin) to set
:       the background of the virtual X created by VNC.
:       I use:  xsri --tile=bg.png --set

Wayne Throop   [EMAIL PROTECTED]