I can run vncserver, and test locally with vncviewer 10.3.1.194:1. From
a port forward configured SSH gateway, I can connect with vncviewer to
an associates box, but connection to my box times out. I think there's a
problem with SSH keys.

I was advised to upgrade to 4.2.1, which I did in /usr/local/bin/. I got
'libstdc ... No such file or directory' so did yum install
libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3. Then I got '/usr/bin/xsetroot: unable to open
display' so uncommented the font path section in vncserver and changed
'lib' to 'shared' in the paths. I didn't know how to check that the
patches were applied, but am not so concerned with VNC version as I am
with the connection time out problem.

I use Eclipse IDE and was given an eclipse font style file (.gtkrc-2.0)
to add to my home directory, so thought maybe I can't remote VNC because
the remote VNC server can't render the font.

With my upgraded VNC working, I can again connect locally with
vncviewer, but not from the SSH gateway. I tried it without Eclipse
running, but makes no difference.

I don't see the connection attempt in the vncserver log. Where can I get
more info? What log on the SSH gateway can I look at. There's no VNC log
on the gateway, should there be? I can't view logs in /root/.vnc/.