To: <VNC-List@realvnc.com>
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 12:54 PM
Subject: Non Technical User Needs Help

A friend of mine is a complete novice with computers. She runs Windows XP Home and has a broadband connection. Her ISP assigns her a (possibly) different IP
address every time she connects.

I run XP Pro/SP2, have a broadband connection and my ISP has assigned me a
*fixed* IP address (yes, really). I'm comfortable installing and configuring
software.

Can she and I each run some VNC-based software so that when we are both
running it we can do the following:

1. I can see her desktop
2. I can see her mouse movements, selections and what happens when she clicks
on something - left, right, double click
3. I can take control of her mouse in such a way that she can see what I do
4. I can enter data from my keyboard into her computer

I'm happy to run a server of some sort so that she connects to me or I'm happy to ask her to run a server. Asking her what her current IP address is might be
a bit beyond her (sorry, that's not intended to be condescending).

Is there some flavour of VNC which will do this? It needs to be *very* simple
for her to install.

Would I be better off using Windows Remote Assistance? Something else?

Harold Fuchs
London, England