On 11/10/06, Alex Pelts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Mick wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Perhaps this has been answered before, but I couldn't find the answer
> in the ML.  I am unable to connect to a WinXP VNC server box on my
> LAN, from a second WinXP box.  This problem occurs *only* when I
> select "connect to local ports only" to stop it listening to ports on
> the Internet.  I am tunnelling this VNC connection through ssh
> (copssh).  No problem connecting to the VNC server from a Linux box
> (also on the LAN, also tunnelling through ssh).
>
> The error that comes up on the WinXP VNC viewer is something like "the
> connection was unexpectedly terminated, would you like to try again".
> Telnet-ing through the forwarded port
> similarly fails - the telnet session hangs waiting for a response from
> the server.  As soon as I deselect the "connect to local ports only"
> the WinXP VNC viewer (and telnet session) can connect happily again to
> the VNC server.  Is this a WinXP bug?  Is there a work around?

You know that when you tunneling you actually have to connect to the
localhost instead of remote machine?

Yes, of course.  I tried locahost:port as well as 127.0.0.1:port, on
the client side.

What is exact procedure that you follow when you tunneling?

On the WinXP server I have copsshd running and the client's public key
saved in .ssh/authorised_keys file.  VNC server running with "local
connections only" selected.

On the WinXP client I launch PuTTY, enter the key passphrase when
asked and once the ssh session is established I launch VNC viewer, or
telnet from a DOS console.  As long as the "local connections only" is
selected on the VNC server I cannot logon.  My Linux machine has no
trouble connecting to the VNC server either way.  The firewall on the
server is currently disabled (although it makes no difference as long
as I have it correctly configured for the ssh service on my LAN).

All I can think is that the VNC server treats the ssh tunnel as a
non-local connection.  In case it makes a difference these are the
ports that I am using:

sshd and ssh: 28 (reduce the bot hits when connected to the Internet)
client localhost port: 5802
VNC server port: 5803

The tunnel looks like this:  5802:localhost:5803 192.168.0.2
Mick