William Hooper wrote :

John Lumby wrote:
>> "If the VNC server is using a non-standard port number to accept
>> connections then this is specified by adding two colons to the server's
>> address or name, followed by the port number"
>>

> Yes! thank-you. I did not see that documented but now I do. Thanks
>  for pointing that out.    Oh well. And for anyone who tries this, since
> the documentation does not state the order of the subfields when you need
> to specify all three subfields - server-IP-address , server-port ,
> server-display-number I discovered by trial and error that it is the above
> order, with the three (in total) colons like so :
> server-IP-address::server-port:server-display-number

You don't need all three.  You need either port or display number:

server::5905 or server:5

Well - in my case I actually DO need all three. I had to start my vncserver with an explicitly overridden value for its rfb port (using the -rfbport option). So the rfb port is not 5900+display number. That's why I needed to set a similar explicit value on the viewer.

John