From: Mark Willis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2006 1:36 PM
To: Anne Gorham
Subject: Re: VNC and security issues at a university

Dear Anne,
I would still question the need to use VNC at all for this.
If the student is using a linux box then they just need to ssh to the
UNIX server and run the applicartion - maybe I missed something about
the application is it an X app.? or comand line?.  If they are coming
form say a Windows XP PC then they would need something like HummingBird
Exceed, Cygwin, and so on if the app. is an X based one else just use
the free Wondows putty.exe.   Anyway, If the app is X-based then how
will VNC sort this when many students connect to the single server anyway?

Sorry if I've completely missed the point.

M.