Dear VNC List,

I'm writing with a question I've seen several people post on VNC message
boards but I've never seen resolved.

Here's the problem: I can successfully access my Desktop PC via VNC when I
connect from within my LAN (e.g. connecting via an internal IP address -
192.168.1.104 works).  However I cannot access my Desktop PC when I try to
connect from outside the LAN (e.g. connecting via an external IP address
-71.105.67.xxx returns a "Failed to connect to server" message).

Here are some details about my configuration:

1.    my ISP, Verizon, does not block VNC traffic.  I've called their tech
support multiple times to confirm this and run tests.

2.    My modem/router is an ActionTec GT704-WG, version 3.  I've talked to
their tech support multiple times as well to confirm that VNC should work
and to run tests.

3.    Port forwarding is working properly on the router.  This is confirmed
when I connect via an internal IP address

4.    Turning off the Windows firewall does not fix the problem

5.    I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002, Service
Pack 2 on the Desktop PC

6.    Desktop PC has a static internal IP address

7.    Remote access is enabled on the router

8.    NETSTAT -AN shows that VNC ports (5800 and 5900) are listening
properly

9.    This problem disappeared a week ago meaning I could access via an
external IP address for a few days but then the problem returned (!?).

10.   Before installing the ActionTec modem router I had the same problem
with a Westell 6100 modem and Belkin router.  Before the Westell 6100 I had
an old Westell DSL modem that allowed VNC traffic fine.

Any thoughts you may have would be most appreciated.

Signed,

Chris "Stumped and Shut Out" Swain

Chris Swain

Asst. Professor