David Reichard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

   My laptop gets its IP address from my home network's DHCP
   server. I can find out what the address is and use that to
   connect OK. But that address can change. I wish it were a
   fixed address or name.

I believe it is a feature of any DHCP server to be able to use
fixed addresses for particular clients. I suggest to study the
doc's of your DHCP server or ask the technical support hotline
for it.

   But I don't see how to do that on my BritePort 8124 ASDL DSL

BritePort 8124? Are you sure? I can only find BritePort 8120 on
the net. And, a bit surprising for me, from its documentation it
seems that one cannot fix IP addresses for clients.

Bye,

Hendrik