On Sunday 18 March 2007 02:37, 77 D'~x 77 wrote:
> Neil B. Baker wrote:

> > I can connect with vnc using the intranet address but not the computer
> > name. I can ping the laptop using the intranet address but not the
> > computer name.
> >
> > I have changed the computer name several times and that hasn't helped.
> >
> > All other network related things seem to be ok.
>
> Obviously, this is an issue to do with the propagation of NetBIOS names
> on your network. Thought I have no specific suggestions, looked through
> the connection's properties and see anything looks awry. At worst, you
> could try uninstalling and reinstalling each NIC.

. . . assuming that he has NetBIOS bound on TCP/IP and (which is a bad idea
because it leaves the machine listening to ports 137-139) and is running
LMHOSTS.  However, if the computer name resolution is taking place at the
router (most likely) then he may just need to switch off the ADSL router for
a few minutes and restart it, which will probably pick up the new name.

Mick