Paul,

The workaround for VNC Free Edition is to log out the current user before
logging on another one, so that the console session is always session zero.

RealVNC is the company name and VNC the product, so I'm not sure what you
mean by "Is the problem unique to RealVNC...".  If you mean "Do VNC
Enterprise & Personal Editions handle Fast User Switching?" then the answer
is yes, they do!

Cheers,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd