Steven wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've been using RealVNC free edition for a couple of years now without any
> problems.  The current version is Free Edition 4.1.2 on a WinXP machine,
> connecting to an Ubuntu Feisty Fawn build 7.04 machine through Remote
> Desktop.  I have been running this setup without any hitches for several
> months.
>
> Today, all of a sudden in the middle of typing, the shift key stopped
> working predictably.  I was attempting to input a question mark ( ? ), but a
> right-side square bracket ( ] ) appeared instead.  I also discovered that
> attempting to send shift+f ( F ) resulted in a lower case y ( y ), and
> attempting to send a shift+y ( Y ) results in a lower case t ( t ).
>
> Other inputs such as shift+a ( A ) and shift+1 ( ! ) work perfectly
> normally.  Anyone have any ideas why this would spontaneously happen in the
> middle of a session?
>
> Attempted (failed) remedies so far:
> - tested keyboard on host ( Ubuntu ) machine, works normally
> - restarted RealVNC
> - restarted Remote Desktop
> - restarted both machines
> - reset keyboard configs on both machines
>
> All to no effect.

    What's "remote desktop" to do with VNC?  I mean, if remote desktop
works for you, maybe you'd better stick to it.

    On the other hand, make sure you're using the same logical
keyboard.  By "logical keyboard", I mean for example, you can have a
physical German keyboard while the system considers it as a Spanish
keyboard.

    One other thing to see: the keyboard of the VNC server computer has
no caps lock on.  It's quite a hair-tearing situation when the server
keyboard has some locks while the client's hasn't.

    HTH