Paul

Sounds like a User/privilege issue in Windows.

Specifically, I suspect that you installed the service under an Admin
account, but perhaps are logged in under a different account - when
the VNC connection is attempted.  If this is the case, Windows will
switch to the user login screen.  A simple test to validate this
assumption is to log in under your Admin account - and see if this
eliminates the problem.

Best

Ryo