On Thu, 20 Nov 2008, John Serink wrote:

Yes....
On a windows box, install freesshd,
Set it to allow tunnelling via local host,
Set it to allow sftp access.
Tunnel your vnc through the ssh connection and use sftp for file transfers.
Its slick, it works and its fully encrypted.
On a unix box, sshd should be running by default, away you go.

Suppose you want to connect to your home windows box and do file transfers from random places -- like the computer in the library. Is it possible to run the ssh client on a flash drive that you carry around with you?

Is it easy to create some little script that will initiate the ssh connection and follow that with VNC after the ssh password is given?

I find the tunneling scheme appealing. How does it compare with ultraVNC which uses encryption (not by default though, I think) and allows for file transfers? (I'll partly answer this question by saying that I don't think ultravnc viewers are available for anything but windows, but realVNC runs on almost anything.)

Mike