From: "Philip Herlihy" <phi...@herlihy.eu.com>
To: "'Roger Withnell'" <ro...@upperbridge.co.uk>, <vnc-list@realvnc.com>
Subject: RE: Connecting to a server behind a router
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 21:22:16 -0000

For the second scenario, you have to have a server on your customer's
machine.  Oddly enough I've just described this scenario on this mailing
list.

I'm not aware of a way of getting the VNC server onto the client's machine
without getting them to install it, although if you Google for PCHelpware or
UltraVNC SC you'll see there are solutions available where the server is a
single downloadable which runs without installation.  I'd certainly be
interested myself in a way of getting RealVNC on a customer's machine
without them having to install it.  Some customers have managed to install
the server themselves following instructions I've put on the web, but most
assume (wrongly) that it's beyond them, and I end up visiting first.  I'm
not short of work, so I don't miss the ones I can't get to.

I've wondered if it's possible to script an installation, or provide a msi
file, but I've not had time to look into this.

Once you have the server on the customer's machine, you can use the
listening client method to set up the first connection, and use that to
configure their router to allow incoming connections.  I provide a shortcut
on their desktop which runs the listening client.

HTH

Phil