Steve,

Have you checked the memory usage of the server when it gets into this state?
It's also worth checking the Windows event logs to see if there are any
tell-tale errors from core OS components or drivers around the time the
problem occurs.  Finally, you can also check the number of handles that
processes are holding via the Task Manager, which may help you determine
whether it's a resource issue.

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd