I have two machines on a wired network.  A win xp machine and a mac
book pro.  Both systems have vnc enterprise servers and viewers
version 4.5.x installed with the servers configured to operate in
service mode.

When I use the mac vnc viewer app to access the windows machine vnc
server and thus remotely control the windows machine, the speed is
incredible, like sitting at the actual windows computer.

When I use the windows vnc viewer to access the mac vnc server and
thus remotely control the mac, the speed is horrible, about 1/4th the
speed of the aforementioned scenario.  When moving a window or
scrolling a page, I can count to "2" (so about 1 to 2 seconds lag)
before the scrolled page or moved window updates on the vnc viewer
window.  Clicking pull down menus at the top of the screen takes
several moments for them to appear in the viewer.  I have the mac
machine (running the vnc server) sitting next to me to test this while
I access from the windows vnc viewer, and the screen updates are
obviously instantaneous on the actual mac.  So the lag is in the vnc
connection itself.

On both systems, I have the viewers set to 'adapt to network speed'.
Even going manual and sliding the slider to 'most compression' does
not work.  In fact, while reducing the colors and making things hard
to read, it actually seems to make the mac vnc server even slower to
respond.

What should I check or adjust to help increase the performance of the
mac vnc server, as this level of performance is nearly unusable.....

Thanks!
Vince