On 15-6-2010 14:24, Mike Gexler wrote:
> I have vnc running as a server on a linux red hat box.
>
> I have vnc viewer running on a local xp machine.
>
> I can't seem to connect to connect even though we have same ip schemes.
>
> Any ideas?

This depends on a lot of settings. As the remote machine is linux, the
vnc-session can be a fresh session (unrelated to the session on the
console) or somehow hooked to the session at the console.

For fresh sessions, there are 2 variants: Static sessions or on-the-fly
sessions. The first one is re-entrant: you can re-connect to them and
more than one viewer can work with this session (that's configurable).
The on-the-fly sessions just give a fresh login for every connection and
logout/crash once the connection to the viewer is lost.

For the sessions hooked to the console, it depends on the level of the
hook. If it is hooked to the current login session, the user at the
console can get a question if the remote session is allowed or not.

In the end, if both machines have exact the same IP settings, it will
never work if they have the same ip addresses...

CBee